Author Archives: pastorrobin
This is specifically written for pastors. However, everyone can use these principles for leading any organization.
- Write 5-10 hand written notes of encouragement every week. Pick a random group of people that either stand out with serving, are in need of prayer, new to the church, or been faithful since beginning. Pick kids, teens, and adults. When you send a note to a kid, you send a powerful message to their parents as well. Write 4-5 sentences that personally connect you to them.
- Invite someone to lunch or coffee every week. Find someone in the church that you know has potential. Reach out and get to know them over a quick lunch or coffee time.
- Preach better. Spend time in prayer and study. Do not only study the Bible, but also study other speakers. Watch videos of yourself. Ask for people’s feedback on your speaking. Be strategic about what you want people to know, feel, and do after your message.
- Make sure the morale is strong with volunteers. Spend time before service going around different areas of ministry and personally connect with people. This doesn’t mean that you talk for a long time. This means that you talk to them about their role and ask something personal. Remember details about them and ask about them the next time you see them. Find out if there is anything that can be done to make their job easier.
- Work hand in hand with the Worship and Tech teams. Make sure those teams know every transition detail. Over communicate cues and changes that need to be made.
- Analyze each service on Monday. What went wrong? How can we remedy it? What went right? How can we repeat it? Ask team members for their feedback on how their area went. Listen to what people are saying and respond.
- Promote clearly. Make sure the congregation knows when you are doing things. Don’t overwhelm them with too many announcements, but give them clear and accurate details for all events coming up.
- Study Rick Warren’s 5 Church purposes. Pastor Rick teaches a powerful lesson on worship, evangelism, ministry, fellowship, discipleship. Are you balanced with events, sermons, wording, website, small groups, etc that are reaching the community, crowd, congregation, committed, and core?
- Invest in things that build momentum. When we build the kingdom of God, we will spend money. The options on what to spend money on are limitless. Have a good budgeting system of people/committees. Find things that produce for your local culture. Social events? Guest Speakers? Gifts? Outreach projects? Staff? Don’t be afraid to spend money on the right things.
- Invest quality time into 10-12 people that are your core leaders. Go above and beyond for your “disciples”. It would be ideal for everyone in your church to also have 10-12 disciples in their life. Model this like Jesus did for us. Spend quality time with them. Invite them into your life. Challenge them when necessary.
On Sunday, I preached about the power of living in spiritual SHAPE. Spiritual Gifts, Heart, Abilities, Personality, and Experience. If you missed it, you can get the audio version or the video version online by Tuesday. If you need the link to take the Spiritual Gifts or Personality Survey click here.
I asked the church staff to send me their SHAPE profiles. I want to share with you some of their responses so that you can see examples. Please feel free to share yours and allow us all in on the process. I will start with mine. I hope this helps,
SPIRITUAL GIFTS: Wisdom: STRONG Prophecy: WEAK Teaching: STRONG Leadership: WEAK
HEART: Organizing and Promoting, Seeing the light go on for people (teaching/preaching/discipleship), Adventure/Outdoors(hunting, fishing, biking, skiing), being a husband and dad, Spanish speaking people groups
ABILITIES: Listening, structure/planning, spreadsheets/calculations, presentations, graphic design, public speaking, video production, marketing
PERSONALITY: Conscientiousness VERY STRONG, Steadiness STRONG (DISC test)
EXPERIENCE: BBA Marketing, 22 years of Church leadership/staff, 13 years of Senior pastoring, ski instructor, soccer coach certificate,
HOW I LIVE IN SHAPE:
- preach and teach the church
- organize and promote functions
- produce graphics, videos, correspondence
- help with the organization of church business issues.
- one-on-one disciple through my marriage, fathering, staff, prayer group, mountain biking and fishing trips
- Working on gift of prophecy during prayer after service and during one-on-one conversations.
- Sharing dreams God gives me with people that are in reference to.
- Go on annual trips to countries with Spanish speakers
Spiritual Gifts: Prophecy: STRONG, Mercy: WEAK, Wisdom: STRONG, Apostleship: WEAK
HEART: Discerning and Elaboration when God speaks. Hearing the voice of God and then seeing it unfold in the body of Christ or in the lives of those around me. Encouraging and Teaching on hearing the voice of God.
ABILITIES: Organization and Detail Orientation. I strive for excellence in the job I do. Recognize undiscovered TALENT. Leading people in their self-discovery of gifts and talents. I see the body as a whole with the intricate pieces joined together. Detail oriented to a near OCD level of consciousness.
PERSONALITY: Influential Very Strong, Steady & Analytical
EXPERIENCE: Forty years in leadership positons with dozens to hundreds in my sphere of influence. I identify talents and build teams based not upon job descriptions but upon their innate talent. Teach people to focus on what they do well while managing the opportunities in their life or performance.
HOW I LIVE IN SHAPE
- Oversee the church operations.
- Organize and Develop Ministry Leaders by their Talents
- Train and Encourage coworkers in the business aspects of their ministries.
- Focus on what God is speaking to me in prayer and prophecy.
- Sharing the visions and words that God gives me.
- Develop leaders in our small group.
- Participate and Serve in the Outreach Ministries I oversee.
- I make a concerted and conscious effort to encourage all of our nine children and numerous grandchildren in a personal and individual way. I want them to all understand how amazingly unique, talented and gifted that God made them.
SPIRITUAL GIFTS Top 3 (strongest): Knowledge, Craftsmanship, Music/Worship Bottom 3 (weakest): Apostleship, Evangelism, Missionary
Learning (to benefit myself and others), Explaining (helping people understand something I know about that would help them),
Music creation (piano and singing), Songwriting (seeing people reflect on and respond to something I wrote)
Music (piano, voice, theory, rhythm, songwriting), Language Arts (writing, vocabulary, spelling, poetry, reading), Study, Organization,
“C” – Conscientiousness, highest possible score; “D” – Dominance is a distant 2nd, introverted, thinker, sensitive
BA Biblical Studies, BA Church Music, Piano and Voice Instruction, Bible College Professor and Assistant Admin., 28 years in worship ministry, 10 years in church leadership, piano tuner & technician
LIVING IN MY SHAPE
– choose and sequence worship songs by their lyric content (Biblically sound, concept, understandable) and musical traits (key, meter, tempo)
– organize worship teams with great detail (strengths of each member relative to each other and the music)
– coach and mentor individuals in spiritual and musical areas
– keep the stage clean and practice times organized and focussed
– answer questions about the Bible and teaching others how to study it more effectively
– attention to detail in song lyrics; their meaning, phrasing, delivery, and how a subtle nuance can speak to the hearer
– answer questions about anything I can if it helps someone
SPIRITUAL GIFTS: Hospitality: STRONG Leadership: STRONG Service: STRONG Discernment: WEAK Prophecy: WEAK Helps: WEAK
HEART: Entertaining and connecting. Getting people connected and inviting them into my inter world. Keeping the family connected. Being a daughter, mom, grandma & Great grandparent
ABILITIES: Listening, Communication, Accounting, Public Relations
PERSONALITY: Rule Follower, Compliant, Competent, Task Oriented, and People Oriented (DISC)
EXPERIENCE: BA Business & Banking, 14 years experience in marketing, 29 year experience in financial services and regulatory compliance, business owner
HOW I LIVE IN SHAPE:
- host groups and connect others
- lead community activities
- teach financial classes to community and family
- guide family in business ventures
- one-on-one discipleship with ladies for personal growth
- Working on being able to discern falsehood, and engage the prophecy ability to speak and bring clarity to scriptural study.
SPIRITUAL GIFTS: Leadership: STRONG Mercy: WEAK Evangelism: STRONG Pastor: WEAK
The Church. Leading people from Point A to Point B. Getting my hands dirty and showing people who Jesus really is. Being able to reach this generation and the next who are fast loosing even the memory of the gospel. Being the best husband and father I can be. Sports. Deer Hunting. Games. Food. Design.
Making connections with people that are below surface level. Communicating on both a one on one level as well as large rooms. Creativity, lighting design, graphic design, video production.
Dominant VERY STRONG. Supportive STRONG.
The Actor’s School Certificate (NYC), 10 years of theatre and film acting and production, 7 years church/leadership staff, US Soccer certified coach
HOW I LIVE IN MY SHAPE:
-Preach and teach the next generation of the church.
-Have regular conversations with people that are outside of the church.
-Organize events and services.
-Regular listener to church leadership podcast.
-Regular online attender of several churches around the country.
-Produce graphics, video and creative elements for services.
-Constantly working on being a better husband and father by asking questions of those with successful experience.
-Stage design for the church.
-Working on being a better shepherd through the one on one teaching opportunities with the students.
-Working on being a leader who creates other leaders with the key volunteers of the student ministry.
Spiritual Gifts: Administration: Strong Intercession: Weak – I feel like I would love to be able to tap into this but I am allowing my fear of people hold me back. Mercy: Strong Faith was a 9.. Medium- I have been realizing my weaknesses during this fast.
Heart: Being a mom and wife. Right now I am trying to really honestly grasp who I am. Trust that I am really truly a child of God who is fully capable of overcoming what I feel has been holding me back all my life. My heart is to reach families like mine who are lost and unsaved. I feel pain when I see them in our building and they are just going thru the motions. It means so much to me that we are in a position to just be able to plant seeds even without seen the end result.
Abilities: Listening, waiting, being quiet when I need to be. I have a gift of being able to remain calm when others can’t. Except when I need it! I can organize, plan and love making lists. Fairly good with computers and can be artsy and creative with kids crafts. Patient with kids and strong willed adults. I have realized that I have done a really good job of being able to stay connected to over 89 teachers and know their name, staying good contact with them and know a little about what is going on with them so when I see them I am able to make a connection and ask them about something personal.
Personality: Determined, problem solver, bossy, can worry more about the problem than the people. Try to be a motivator and cheery. DISC is D/C
Experience: Some nursing school before I quit at the request of God to sit and be still! Mom- .. Church staff 3 years, been serving in kids ministry for 6 years.
HOW I LIVE IN SHAPE:
- teach in Sunday School
- create lessons for classes
- help teachers in their every day life
- stay connected to each teacher as much as possible thru email, cards or text.- try to make one on one connections and real life conversations
- find ways to connect with new families every Sunday
- try and educate/read the bible daily/weekly to become closer to God’s word so that I am ready and able to hear him when he speaks to me.
- Promote our classes online- get parents more involved in what we do
- love people more