3 Things to do when you are fasting and HUNGRY.
Christians fast from food to set themselves apart from their natural habits and activities. Our hope is that during the process, God will reveal how our heart has separated from him and began trusting in other gods. We want anything that separates us from God or takes the place of God to DIE. The Bible calls this: consecration.
Joshua 3:5 Then Joshua said to the people, “Consecrate yourselves, for tomorrow the Lord will do wonders among you.”
In modern times, there are many different ways to fast. Many do this periodically throughout each month. Others fast for a prolonged period at the beginning of the year or before a major decision or life change.
Going ALL IN for the All in All means that we could voluntarily go without other things in our lives for a period of time, proving our sole allegiance to God and no other.
We put our hope in HIS power and HIS resolution instead of eating, smoking, drinking, watching things that numb, distract, cloud out, confuse our present painful reality. The only way to find out where we are spiritually is to jump in and find out.
During a fast, we will find out that we are weaker and more broken than we thought. But, we also find out that God is more powerful and loving than we ever dared hope! (paraphrased from Pastor Timothy Keller)
While fasting you will become very hungry. We crave a cupcake, want a drink or a drag, or other pleasure.
In those moments, do these 3 things:
- Meditate on the TRUTH of Christ’s love for us. Confess and repent of sin. Focus on the truth of the gospel. God loves you more than you can imagine. He paved the way for relationship with him!
- Call on the Holy Ghost to fill you with Strength in the transition away from your vices. God has made his Spirit available for our difficult daily life. When fasting, he can give some comfort through the Holy Ghost. The quicker we give up (die to him), the quicker help and new life comes.
- Thank God for the spiritual transformation going on inside of you. There are 3 powerful truths to the spiritual transformation of a fast. When suffering/hungry in a fast, confess these out loud and allow God to confirm them through the Holy Spirit.
- We can’t see the transformation right now. Remember, the scripture at the top of the post! Joshua said that consecration was “today” and God’s works were “tomorrow”. In other words, consecration has a degree of pain and suffering to it.
- We will see the transformation soon. (and will blow our minds) Don’t forget the second half of that scripture. God WILL do wonders through you tomorrow!
- We are not buying or earning the spiritual transformation, we are simply getting out of the way so it can happen. We can be tempted to think that our suffering is “purchasing our miracle”. Please resist that temptation. Fasting simply kills you so that GOD has available space to do what he does (really cool and life transforming stuff).
How is your fast going?
Where or how do you struggle most during a fast?
How important is it for you to fast with a group of people?